Hi, my name is Luis Puerto and I’m a dynamic and versatile Forest Engineer from Spain with more than 10 years of diverse and wide experience in GIS, remote sensing and data analysis. I have been working lately on research projects involving LiDAR, biomass, R language and trade data. I have experience working internationally, with a wide range of technologies and in interdisciplinary teams. I have great ability to learn and an analytical mind. I am mainly looking for challenging projects related to GIS, remote sensing and data analysis where I can use my background and skills, learning new ones in the process.
On going: MSc. iGEON. Master of Science in Geographic Information Science (GIS) and Earth Observation for Environmental Modeling and Natural Resource Management. (120 ETCS | Online)
Lund University (Sweden) and University of Twente (Netherland)
- Hernando A., Puerto L., Mola-Yudego B., Manzanera J.A., Garcia-Abril A., Maltamo M., Valbuena R. 2019.
Estimation of forest biomass components using airborne LiDAR and multispectral sensors. iForest Journal.
Currently: Tryout at European Forest Institute, Bioeconomy Programme, Smart Forestry Area
- Main project: Forest Products Trade Flow database, related to the analysis of more than 100 GB of data from global trade flows, focusing in of forest product.
- R programing. Developing, maintaining, debugging and adding new functionality to a R package for data extraction, manipulation and analysis from different publicly available trade databases like UN Comtrade and EU Comext.
- Working with APIs, databases like MySQL, and Linux on server and desktop, to gather and store the data and to implement and debug the final product.
Ongoing from summer 2019: Volunteer at US Forest Service
- Creating a model on R for gap forest detection using LiDAR, the FIA and aerial photo.
- Handling and analysis of the full forest inventory of Oregon.
2017-2018: Independent consultant and professional
- Manage a small network using Raspberry Pis as small home server for different applications such as R Studio server, VPN server, NAS, cloud storage, wireless audio streaming, ad blocker, internet speed logger and many others.
- Setting AWS for parallel computing on the cloud with R Studio server, passing from 2 days analysis to 1h.
Sep-Dec 2016: Kansalaisopisto Joensuu. Spanish teacher.
- Teaching a course of Spanish language for adults.
2015-2017: University of Eastern of Finland. Different LiDAR projects as intern. 9 months in total.
- Download, processing and analyzing the whole LiDAR information of Finland using Fusion, LAStools. LidR and others.
- Scripting in R language to process and analyze LiDAR data. Statistical modeling to yield biomass estimations.
- Reference research and scientific writing about LiDAR and biomass estimation.
Nov 2014: Metsäkeskus. Finnish language course internship
- Creation of digital cartography using Metsäkeskus’ inventory data in Finnish.
- Able to work in a full Finnish language environment and interact other staff.
2014-2016: Intensive Finnish Language Courses.
- More than 1500 hours in total, about Finnish language and culture.
- Able to work with people in an environment where language could be a barrier.
May 2009 – Dec 2012: Fundación Ciudad de la Energía (City of Energy Foundation), Spanish Government.
- Last position: Coordinator of Technology & Innovation Area at Technology & Systems Department
- In charge of a multidisciplinary team of four members related to technology and programming.
- Co-responsible to commission the digital platform for the Museo Nacional de la Energía. 1-million-euro project.
- Develop, implement and commission different kinds of technological systems such as public Wi-Fi networks, ticket-selling systems, geolocation systems for people and objects, and cloud computing systems.
- Responsible of the Geographic Information Systems (GIS). Cartography elaboration (such as two tourism maps, web apps or in-house cartography), data analysis, geodatabase keeping and in-house GIS training.
- Responsible of the office tasks of “Assessment of the current phytosanitary status of European chestnut in El Bierzo (León, Spain)” project; managing field work, inventory operations, and data processing and analysis.
- Other projects:
- Heritage Inventory of El Bierzo and Laciana Counties. Helping to plan field works, develop the inventory and coordinate and create a database. Also, subsequent analysis of data using GIS methodologies.
- La Mirada Circular (more than 300 km of hiking routes): Help to organize activities, signaling, mapping and managing.
- Lots of other activities about environment, alternative and clean energies, tourism and territory analysis.
2009: Freelance consultant for TRAGSATEC; collaborate in the preliminary plan for the Pajariel Forestry Park.
- Collecting data in the field, team organization, and cartography elaboration.
- GIS multi-criteria analysis of data, develop and analysis proposals of restoration and activities for the park.
- Analysis of potentialities and the development of citizen participation process.
2005-2011: Several projects as freelance such as:
- Development of Geographic Information Systems in ArcGIS, ArcPAD & ArcView and blueprints in AutoCAD.
- Experience as a judicial expert in court and writing a judicial report for one side.
- Forest inventory of more than 12000 ha, in-filed decision making about forest management and GIS analysis of data.
- Co-writing of strategic management report for the forest for the following 10 years.
2006: Tecnosylva SL. (6 months). Forest technician and consultant:
- Inventory of forest roads, with GPS, ArcPAD, and off-road vehicle. Over 2000 km.
- Cartography generation and digitalization in ArcGIS software.
- Collecting data in field with professional GPS. Advanced knowledge of GPS methodology.
- Forest inventory with computing systems such PDA, Vertex, and electronic caliper.
- 10 training courses on ArcGIS 10 Desktop and Server systems, including Oracle DDBB and programming in python and add-ins, by ESRI Spain (300 hours).
- Course Sextante (GIS toolbox) by Uni. of León (20 hours).
- Course “Thematic Cartography”, by the Spanish National Geographic Institute (40 hours).
- Course of “Learn to Program: The Fundamentals” in Python, by University of Toronto (50 hours).
- Course “Certification and Audition Systems in forest exploitations” by PROFOR (144 hours).
- Course of Fire Management, by Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (SLU) (200 hours).
- Course AutoCAD 2011 2D & 3D, by IFESS (40 hours).
- Course “Health and Safety on forest exploitations” by PROFOR, (144 hours).
- Course “Defending Forest Against Wildfires”, by the Spanish Forest Engineers Official Association (30 hours).
- Course about Biomass by CARTIF Foundation (60 hours).
- Course “Forest Planning”, by Castile and León Government (50 hours).
- Course on Project Management by Adecco (15 hours)
- Course of Wonderware by Wonderware Spain (35 hours).
- I’ve assisted to many others talks, seminaries, conferences and congresses at local, national and international level.
- ArcGIS Desktop & Server
- QGIS & OSGeo
- Oracle DB & SQL DDBB
- macOS, Linux & Windows
- R stats & Python
- Fusion, LAStools & LidR
- Parallel computing
- Cloud computing
- Git, GitHub & GitLab & CI
- Shell scripting
- Jekyll & Web developing
- Spanish: Native Speaker
- English: Bilingual
- Finnish: A2
- Swedish: A1
- Project management
- Trade data
- Certification & audit
- Analytical & meticulous
- Open minded
- Critical & system thinker
- Productive & organized
- International perspective
- Global traveler
- Social & independent
- Albany Historic Carrousel in Oregon, US: Setting the animals, assembling the wooden structure and helping with the mechanical and electrical systems.
- The Hour of Code in Madrid, ES: Teaching code to 4th grade school students.
- Cultural volunteering in Joensuu, FI: Immigration inclusion, developing leisure programs for children.
- OSGeo & QGIS Homebrew tap: Producing documentation, maintaining the tap, updating formulae and organizing operation and planning with other volunteers remotely.
- I like adventure and challenges. I love hiking and camping in the wilderness. Travel enthusiast and explorer.
- Always interested in trying new things and test new tools to improve, specially my productivity.
- Photography enthusiasm. I spend most of my free time reading and learning.
Additionally I prepare a concise version of this résumé in pdf paper format. You can see and download the most recent version bellow or here.
Actually, this is when I converted my previous diploma to the new Bolonia framework. I’ve been a Forest Engineer, since 2008 when I graduated from my original studies. ↩