- Educational Background
- Additional Noteworthy Experience
- Additional Training
- “Extracurricular activities”, Volunteering & More
- PDF Résumé
I’m a dynamic and versatile engineer from Spain with more than 15 years of experience on data science and analysis, GIS, and remote sensing. Lately, I’ve been working on projects related to LiDAR, biomass, and trade data with special emphasis on R coding. I have experience working internationally, with a wide range of technologies and in interdisciplinary teams. I’m always interested in learning new skills and I’m looking for challenging projects where I can put to good use my background and skills.
On going: MSc. iGEON. Master of Science in Geographic Information Science (GIS) and Earth Observation for Environmental Modeling and Natural Resource Management. (120 ETCS | Online)
Lund University (Sweden) and University of Twente (Netherland)
2012: Bachelor’s Degree in Forestry and Environmental Engineering 1 (240 ETCS), University of León, Spain.
Thesis / Senior project: “El Pajariel” Stand Management Plan.
- Hernando A., Puerto L., Mola-Yudego B., Manzanera J.A., Garcia-Abril A., Maltamo M., Valbuena R. 2019.
Estimation of forest biomass components using airborne LiDAR and multispectral sensors. iForest Journal.
Mar 2022 - Currently: Quantis. Sustainability Consultant & AgroForestry, GIS and Remote Sensing Expert Supporting organizations on transitioning from business as usual to business at its best within our planetary boundaries.
Jan 2021 - Feb 2022: Spatial and Data Scientist and Analyst Freelance Consultant
I worked on some projects related to data science and analysis, GIS, remote sensing, forestry and more.
Jun - Dec 2020: Paternity leave and moved to Switzerland
Sep 2019 - Jun 2020: European Forest Institute. Data Analyst
I worked at Bioeconomy Programme on the Forest Products Trade Flow database project to analyze global trade flows during the last 30 years with a focus of forest products.
- Developed a script to extract ~100 GB of data from UN COMTRADE trade database.
- Setup and optimize the SQL storage database. Cleaned and assessed the integrity on the data, and correctly subset it for the posterior analysis and further cleaning.
- Developed a script to periodically perform the previous tasks unattended.
- Successfully debugged an R package for cleaning the data and fixed coding problems.
- Delivered a detailed report about problems, suggestions and needed improvements, on the R package code and on the near future of the project.
2013 - 2019: International Freelance Consultant.
I developed my activity mainly in Finland, but also in Spain, Sweden, Austria, and USA, and worked with some institutions like the University of Eastern of Finland, the Finnish Forest Center, or the US Forest Service. Some of the projects I worked on were:
- Developed scripts to download Finland’s full LiDAR dataset —more than 1TB— and to processed and analyze it using Fusion, LAStools, R, LidR and other tools.
- Produced and developed statistical models to yield biomass estimations.
- Wrote and published a scientific paper on biomass, LiDAR and multispectral sensors.
- Cut R-analysis computing-time from days to hours using parallel computing on cloud.
- Modeled the detection of forest gaps with R using LiDAR data, FIA and aerial photos.
- Played a key role on several projects related to R coding and OSGeo tools.
- Helped to teach GIS using ArcGIS at university level.
- Created online digital cartography using the Finnish forest inventory
- Setup Raspberry Pis as a R Studio server, VPN server, NAS, cloud storage, wireless audio streaming, ad blocker, internet speed logger and more.
- Produced educational materials and provided training.
2009 – 2012: Fundación Ciudad de la Energía (City of Energy Foundation), Spanish Government.
I worked as coordinator of Technology & Innovation Area close to the General Director that reported directly to the President of Spain. I led a multidisciplinary team related to technology, innovation, coding and GIS, with total budged greater than 1 million euros.
- Successful led and delivered projects related to tackle climate change, clean energy, technology systems for a museum, geotracking, Wi-Fi networks and regional development.
- Developed two paper regional tourist maps and successfully served the organization’s GIS needs like assist on cartography matters or data analysis.
- Delivered GIS training for inhouse staff and for the general public.
- Led scientific study’s fieldwork: inventory operations, data processing and analysis.
Additional Noteworthy Experience
On 2006 I started to work as a freelance consultant in Spain where I collaborated with companies like Tecnosylva or TRAGSATEC, for private individuals and for small and big municipalities, like Ponferrada Municipality. I participate in small and big projects like the “Preliminary plan for the Pajariel Forestry Park” in Ponferrada, “Integral Management of the Ponferrada’s Mountains,” or the “Inventory of Forest Roads in Laciana”. Some of my main activities and accomplishes were:
- Successfully delivered reports that were essential to defend an environmental project public town-hall meetings.
- Advised and produced insights about citizen participation on environmental projects.
- Lead teams to collect data on the field on thousands of hectares using PDA, Vertex, and electronic caliper.
- Successfully took hundreds of management decisions on ground and delivered a strategic 10-year management plan where data analyst and cartography were key.
- Accomplished the creation of cartography, analysis, reports, and blueprints using ArcGIS, ArcPAD, ArcView and AutoCAD.
- Developed a GIS multi-criteria analyses to zone a forest area for several purposes and adequate it for leisure activities.
- Performed the inventory of over 2000 km of forest roads with an off-road vehicle, a GPS and ArcPAD.
- Digitalized thousands of aerial photos on ArcGIS as cartography preparation for the field work.
- Delimited hundreds of km of forest areas using a sub metric GPS and processed all the data.
- Delivered a judicial report and a testimony in court that was key to win the case.
- 10 training courses on ArcGIS 10 Desktop and Server systems, including Oracle DDBB and programming in python and add-ins, by ESRI Spain (300 hours).
- Course Sextante (GIS toolbox) by Uni. of León (20 hours).
- Course “Thematic Cartography”, by the Spanish National Geographic Institute (40 hours).
- Course of “Learn to Program: The Fundamentals” in Python, by University of Toronto (50 hours).
- Course “Certification and Audition Systems in forest exploitations” by PROFOR (144 hours).
- Course of Fire Management, by Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (SLU) (200 hours).
- Course AutoCAD 2011 2D & 3D, by IFESS (40 hours).
- Course “Health and Safety on forest exploitations” by PROFOR, (144 hours).
- Course “Defending Forest Against Wildfires”, by the Spanish Forest Engineers Official Association (30 hours).
- Course about Biomass by CARTIF Foundation (60 hours).
- Course “Forest Planning”, by Castile and León Government (50 hours).
- Course on Project Management by Adecco (15 hours)
- Course of Wonderware by Wonderware Spain (35 hours).
- Course about International Merchandise Statistics Trade by United Nations.
- I’ve assisted to many others talks, seminaries, conferences and congresses at local, national and international level.
- ArcGIS Desktop & Server
- QGIS & OSGeo
- Oracle DB & SQL DDBB
- macOS, Linux & Windows
- R stats & Python
- Fusion, LAStools & LidR
- Parallel computing
- Cloud computing
- Git, GitHub & GitLab & CI/CD
- Shell scripting
- Jekyll & Web developing
- Spanish: Native Speaker
- English: Bilingual
- German: Beginner
- Finnish: A2
- Swedish: A1
- Data science & analysis
- Data visualization
- GIS & cartography
- Remote sensing & LiDAR
- Project management
- Trade data
- Wildfires & biomass
- Certification & audit
- Analytical & meticulous
- Open minded
- Critical & system thinker
- Productive & organized
- International perspective
- Willing to travel
- Social & independent
“Extracurricular activities”, Volunteering & More
- I am always eager to expand my knowledge and learn from others and I have attended several courses, seminars and workshops on statistics, environmental management and data management and science on several institutions like the University of Agricultural Sciencese, Oregon State University or University of Eastern of Finland .
- Volunteer at Albany Historic Carousel in Oregon (US) where I set the animals, assembled the wooden structure and helped with the mechanical and electrical systems.
- I thought to code to 4th grade school kids during the Hour of Code in Madrid.
- Cultural volunteering in Joensuu, FI. I helped on immigration inclusion, developing leisure programs for children and to create a photo expo on the streets of Joensuu with portraits of locals and immigrants.
- Taught Spanish language and culture.
- I like adventure and challenges. I love hiking and camping in the wilderness. Travel enthusiast and explorer.
- I survived to a Finnish intensive course of more than 1500 hours.
- Always interested in trying new things and test new tools to improve, especially my productivity.
- Photography and space enthusiasm. I spend most of my free time reading, learning, and experimenting.
Additionally I prepare a concise version of this résumé in pdf paper format. You can see and download the most recent version bellow or here.
Actually, this is when I converted my previous diploma to the new Bolonia framework. I’ve been a Forest Engineer, since 2008 when I graduated from my original studies. ↩