Profile and Objective
I am a dynamic and versatile Forest Engineer from Spain with more than 10 years of diverse and wide experience in GIS, remote sensing and data analysis. I have been working lately on research projects involving LiDAR, biomass and R language. I have experience working internationally, in different fields related to technology and interdisciplinary teams. I have great ability to learn, and I have an analytical mind. I am mainly looking for challenging projects related to GIS, remote sensing technologies and new ways to acquire data where I can use my background and skills, learning new ones in the process.
On going: MSc. iGEON. Master of Science in Geographic Information Science (GIS) and Earth Observation for Environmental Modeling and Natural Resource Management. (120 ETCS | Online)
Lund University (Sweden) and University of Twente (Netherland)
2008: Bachelor of Agricultural Engineering (Forestry)2 (180 ETCS), University of León, Spain.
- Hernando A., Puerto L., Mola-Yudego B., Manzanera J.A., Garcia-Abril A., Maltamo M., Valbuena R. 2019.
Estimation of forest biomass components using airborne LiDAR and multispectral sensors. iForest Journal.
Currently: European Forest Institute. Trainee
- Working in improving the Trade Flows data base related to forest products.
- R programing to continue developing an R package —debugging and adding new functionality— for data extraction, manipulation and analysis from different publicly available trade databases like UN Comtrade and EU Comext.
- Preparing the system to be published on a web under a Linux server.
Ongoing from summer 2019: Volunteer at US Forest Service
- Helping on my free time to create a model for gap forest detection using LiDAR, the FIA and aerial photo on Oregon.
2017-2018: Independent consultant and professional
- Manage a small network using Raspberry Pis as small home server for different applications such as R Studio server, VPN server, NAS, cloud storage, wireless audio streaming, ad blocker, internet speed logger and many others.
- Setting AWS for parallel computing on the cloud with R Studio server, passing from 2 days analysis to 1h.
Sep-Dec 2016: Kansalaisopisto Joensuu. Spanish teacher.
- Teaching a course of Spanish language for adults.
2015-2017: University of Eastern of Finland. Different LiDAR projects as intern. 9 months in total.
- Download, processing and analyzing the whole LiDAR information of Finland using Fusion, LAStools. LidR and others.
- Scripting in R language to process and analyze LiDAR data. Statistical modeling to yield biomass estimations.
- Reference research and scientific writing about LiDAR and biomass estimation.
Nov 2014: Metsäkeskus. Finnish language course internship. Creation of digital cartography
- Analyzing and processing Metsäkeskus’ inventory data in Finnish to create digital cartography.
2014-2016: Intensive Finnish Language Courses.
- I took 3 courses, which were more than 1500 hours in total, about Finnish language and culture
May 2009 – Dec 2012: Fundación Ciudad de la Energía (City of Energy Foundation), Spanish Government.
- Last position: Coordinator of Technology & Innovation Area at Technology & Systems Department
- In charge of a multidisciplinary team of four members related to technology and programming.
- Co-responsible to commission the digital platform for the Museo Nacional de la Energía. 1-million-euro project.
- Develop, implement and commission different kinds of technological systems such as public Wi-Fi networks, ticket-selling systems, geolocation systems for people and objects, and cloud computing systems.
- Responsible of the Geographic Information Systems (GIS). Cartography elaboration (such as two tourism maps, web apps or in-house cartography), data analysis, geodatabase keeping and in-house GIS training.
- Responsible of the office tasks of “Assessment of the current phytosanitary status of European chestnut in El Bierzo (León, Spain)” project; managing field work, inventory operations, and data processing and analysis.
- Other projects:
- Heritage Inventory of El Bierzo and Laciana Counties. Helping to plan field works, develop the inventory and coordinate and create a database. Also, subsequent analysis of data using GIS methodologies.
- La Mirada Circular (more than 300 km of hiking routes): Help to organize activities, signaling, mapping and managing.
- Lots of other activities about environment, alternative and clean energies, tourism and territory analysis.
2009: Freelance consultant for TRAGSATEC; collaborate in the preliminary plan for the Pajariel Forestry Park.
- Collecting data in the field, team organization, and cartography elaboration.
- GIS multi-criteria analysis of data, develop and analysis proposals of restoration and activities for the park.
- Analysis of potentialities and the development of citizen participation process.
2005-2011: Several projects as freelance such as:
- Development of Geographic Information Systems in ArcGIS, ArcPAD & ArcView and blueprints in AutoCAD.
- Experience as a judicial expert in court and writing a judicial report for one side.
- Forest inventory of more than 12000 ha, in-filed decision making about forest management and GIS analysis of data.
- Co-writing of strategic management report for the forest for the following 10 years.
2006: Tecnosylva SL. (6 months). Forest technician and consultant:
- Inventory of forest roads, with GPS, ArcPAD, and off-road vehicle. Over 2000 km.
- Cartography generation and digitalization in ArcGIS software.
- Collecting data in field with professional GPS. Advanced knowledge of GPS methodology.
- Forest inventory with computing systems such PDA, Vertex, and electronic caliper.
- 10 training courses on ArcGIS 10 Desktop and Server systems, including Oracle DDBB and programming in python and add-ins, by ESRI Spain (300 hours).
- Course Sextante (GIS toolbox) by Uni. of León (20 hours).
- Course “Thematic Cartography”, by the Spanish National Geographic Institute (40 hours).
- Course of “Learn to Program: The Fundamentals” in Python, by University of Toronto (50 hours).
- Course “Certification and Audition Systems in forest exploitations” by PROFOR (144 hours).
- Course of Fire Management, by Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (SLU) (200 hours).
- Course AutoCAD 2011 2D & 3D, by IFESS (40 hours).
- Course “Health and Safety on forest exploitations” by PROFOR, (144 hours).
- Course “Defending Forest Against Wildfires”, by the Spanish Forest Engineers Official Association (30 hours).
- Course about Biomass by CARTIF Foundation (60 hours).
- Course “Forest Planning”, by Castile and León Government (50 hours).
- Course on Project Management by Adecco (15 hours)
- Course of Wonderware by Wonderware Spain (35 hours).
- I’ve assisted to many others talks, seminaries, conferences and congresses at local, national and international level.
- Spanish: Native Speaker
- English: Advanced level. TOEFL iBT score 96
- Finnish: A2
- Swedish: A1
- ArcGIS & AutoCAD
- macOS, Windows & Linux
- R stats & Python
- Fusion, LAStools & LidR
- Git, GitHub & GitLab
- Shell scripting, databases and web developing
- Self-learner about Project Management and personal Productivity. “Fifth Discipline”, “Systems Thinking”, “Learning Organizations” enthusiast and curious about new ways of learning and similar subjects.
- Very interested in social media and the new ways of communicating ideas.
- Science and technology lover. Rational thinker. Always trying to implement technology to be me more efficient.
- Photography enthusiasm and eager learner of almost everything.
- I like the adventure, hiking and camping in the wilderness.
Additionally you can see and download the most recent version of my résumé in pdf bellow or here.